The Sorensen Institute for Political Leadership is seeking applicants to be Youth Program Managers in the summer of 2023 for its annual High School Leaders Program.
The two-week residential program takes place at the University of Virginia from July 15-29th.
Desirable qualifications are effective time management skills; a high degree of organization; the ability to work with high school students in a residential and classroom setting; knowledge of Virginia government and politics; significant peer leadership experience; experience working in a peer-to-peer counseling setting; a good understanding of professionalism; strong written and oral communication abilities; a strong belief in ethical behavior; and excellent human relations skills.
Applicants must be 19 years of age by program start dates and should have completed at least one year of college or equivalent work experience. Applicants should also be prepared to bring a personal computer or laptop for their own use, and it would be beneficial for an applicant to have a car.
The regular positions will run from July 11 through July 31. During the program, Youth Program Managers will be required to live in residence with the students every night and work each day, with some half-days off duty. Program Managers will receive room and board with the students during the programs, as well as a university parking pass, in addition to a wage of $21/hour.
When applying, please include: a current resume; a letter of recommendation; three references that may be contacted; and a brief letter explaining why you are interested in the position.
Questions and applications can be directed to Sarah Campbell at firstname.lastname@example.org or (434) 243-2470. Applications must be submitted by March 31st, 2023, at midnight for consideration. Qualified applicants will be contacted to arrange an interview via phone or Zoom after this date.
JOB DESCRIPTION - YOUTH PROGRAM MANAGER
• $21/hourly rate plus room, board, and meals during the program
• The full-time position runs from July 11 to July 31, 2023.
• Be in residence at the University of Virginia at all times when students are in the dorms with some time off each week.
• Assist in the daily operations of the programs - supervise students during the day, be on call certain evenings to assist students, serve as a mentor and guide for students, complete administrative work at the Sorensen office, etc.
• Travel with the programs on field trips.
• Advise students in preparation of their culminating project as outlined in program materials and manage at least one student research group.
• Provide administrative support during the program - help with coordination of activities, contact with speakers, development of culminating project groups, evening activities.
• Coordinate social events for the students in the programs.
• Provide reasonable assistance to the Sorensen Institute in the recruitment and selection of program participants.
• Assist in evaluating students completing the HSLP for academic credit.
• Other tasks necessary for the operation of the programs as requested by the Sorensen Institute's staff.