Application Short Essay Questions
The online application includes a number of short-answer essay questions. Each question requires a 250- to 500-word answer. The essays are a significant part of the selection process and very important to the admission decision. The essay questions are as follows:
- Describe your recent leadership activities. What do you consider to be your highest leadership achievement so far?
- What academic, community, governmental, political, professional or other activity are you most proud of? What barriers have you encountered while pursuing this activity?
- What political office are you planning to run for? When are you planning to run?
- What does state or local government in Virginia do well?
- What would you like to change about government in Virginia?
- What specific skills, knowledge or resources do you hope to acquire as a result of participating in the Sorensen Institute Candidate Training Program?
Application Contact and Background Information
The online application also requires the following information:
- How did you learn about the Sorensen Institute?
- Current employment: employer, your title, your supervisor, work address and phone number
- Education: high school, college, graduate school, and any relevant non-degree training programs
- Past Employment: list any past employers including your title, supervisor, and dates of employment
- Activities: list any past organizations and activities that demonstrate your commitment to public service, community involvement, and/or volunteer work.
- Contact information: your current mailing address, home phone, work phone, cell phone, and email address