Application Short Essay Questions
The HSLP online application includes a number of short-answer questions. Be aware that your answers are a significant part of the selection process and very important to making admissions decisions. Please answer each question fully. The short-answer questions on the High School Leaders Program online application are as follows:
- Why are you interested in attending the High School Leaders Program?
- Why are you interested in government, politics and public policy in Virginia?
- Please list any major commitments or events that might conflict with the program dates.
- Is there anything else you would like us to know or take into consideration that has not been included on this application form?
- How did you learn about the High School Leaders Program?
Please write a (NO MORE THAN) 300 word essay on ONE of the following two topics:
OPTION 1: Describe the accomplishment you are most proud of and why. Feel free to address the following questions: What obstacles did you need to overcome to achieve your goal? What did you learn from your experience? What would you have done differently if you had the chance to do it again? How has this affected your goals for the future? How would you be different if you had not had this experience?
OPTION 2: Briefly outline a public policy issue that you care about and suggest a solution. Address why this issue is important to you. Give the three strongest reasons for your solution, and give the three strongest arguments against the solution you have proposed. What would you say to convince someone who was opposed to your solution that it is the correct path to take?